Lincoln Financial has been offering long-term care solutions for a very long time and is considered a leading option for 'hybrid' policies that combine life insurance with a qualified rider for long-term care.
There are variations between the policy language and benefits between the many companies that offer Long-Term Care Insurance; however, the primary features and benefit choices are comparable from company to company. Premiums and underwriting criteria vary dramatically between insurance companies.
When comparing long-term care insurance, you should recognize the differences between Lincoln Financial and other companies.
True 'Hybrid' Policy Meeting Federal Guideline
The Lincoln MoneyGuard III policy is a "hybrid' policy, and it offers both a life insurance death benefit and long-term care benefits. If you are looking for a hybrid, experts recommend you limit your review to those that meet the federal regulations for Long-Term Care Insurance.
All Long-Term Care Insurance contracts are regulated under IRS regulations §7702B(b)(1). Any insurance contract that meets the guidelines set by the Internal Revenue Service is considered long-term care. All insurance products that meet these federal guidelines contain consumer protections and regulated benefit triggers, in addition to tax advantages.
The Lincoln Financial policy meets the Section 7702(b) guidelines. Any insurance contract that falls under Section 101(g) cannot call itself 'Long-Term Care Insurance' and generally should be avoided as a long-term care solution. Federal law prohibits insurance companies from marketing these policies as "long-term care" policies.
With "hybrid" policies, you are guaranteed to receive benefits for long-term care, death, or both. You have access to your money as well in three ways:
- You require long-term care services. You receive tax-free benefits to pay for all levels and types of long-term care, either at home or in a facility of your choice. The traditional trigger for benefits is the same as any traditional Long-Term Care Insurance policy. Because this is a true Long-Term Care policy, you do not need to have a 'permanent or "terminal" health condition to trigger the benefit, in addition to your need for extended care.
- You die. Like any life insurance policy, when you die, you get a tax-free death benefit.
- You change your mind. If for any reason, you need money, you can receive the cash surrender value. While very few people will ever consider doing that, it gives many people additional peace-of-mind, knowing you have access to the money in the policy.
This policy is a combination of a life insurance policy with comprehensive benefits for long-term care services and supports. Lincoln's MoneyGuard III's premium can be paid with a single premium or guaranteed premium payments over a period of time that can NEVER increase.
MoneyGuard Offers These Features
- Zero-day elimination period for any long-term care services
- Benefit periods up to seven years create a pool of money so that benefits could last longer depending on the usage of the available monthly benefit at the time of claim
- Inflation options - 3% or 5% compound available in addition to no inflation
- Caregiving training
- Case Management
- International benefits available
- Death benefit with a guaranteed minimum death benefit even if you receive long-term care benefits
- Tax-Free Long-Term Care benefits. The death benefit is also tax-free.
- Single pay premium or pay annually for 10 to 15 years at most ages. The premium can never increase
Since Lincoln's MoneyGuard III is a hybrid policy and not a traditional long-term care policy, it will not qualify as a partnership policy under state and federal law.
You can learn more about the federal/state partnership program and other state-specific information on long-term care by finding your state on the LTC NEWS Cost of Care Calculator.
Find State-Specific Information
You can learn more about the federal/state partnership program by going to the LTC NEWS Cost of Calculator. Each state has a state-specific page that includes the current and future cost of long-term care services, available tax incentives, information on care providers, and other important information - Cost of Care Calculator - Choose Your State | LTC News.
If you own a Lincoln FIanncial policy and seek help submitting a claim, LTC NEWS offers free - no-obligation assistance - including help finding quality caregivers and facilities. Since most agents have little or no experience in this area, this assistance can be beneficial for the entire family - Filing a Long-Term Care Insurance Claim | LTC News
Shopping for Long-Term Care Insurance?
When shopping for Long-Term Care Insurance coverage, keep in mind, numerous state and federal regulations impact Long-Term Care Insurance. Each state's department of insurance regulates products and premiums. Because of regulation, an insurance agent, agency, or financial advisor cannot give a consumer a special discount that is not available otherwise.
Be sure to use all the tools and resources available on LTC NEWS to help you in your research - Resources for Long-Term Care Planning | LTC News.
There are more similarities than differences when it comes to features and benefits. However, options and benefits vary from company to company, and premiums can vary between companies by over 100% when comparing equal benefits.
Long-Term Care Insurance is medically underwritten, and every company has its own underwriting rules which determine insurability and rate class. An experienced Long-Term Care Insurance specialist will understand these underwriting rules when helping you select the best company and policy options.
Be sure to seek the assistance of a qualified Long-Term Care Specialist to compare the features, benefits, and costs of each policy. You can find a trusted and qualified specialist representing the major insurance companies that offer these products - Work With a Specialist | LTC News.
Since your health is a primary consideration in determining your eligibility for coverage, it is always best to start planning before retirement when health is usually better. An experienced Long-Term Care Insurance specialist will ask you several questions about your health to provide you with accurate quotes and professional recommendations.
Please note: Since every company has different underwriting rules, you could be eligible for coverage with one company and not another.
Because Long-Term Care Insurance is custom-designed, you can design the plan to fit your specific needs, concerns, and budget. A specialist will help you develop your plan to address your concerns. Generally, you can design a plan to meet some or all of these common goals:
- Safeguard income and savings
- Protect the lifestyle of your spouse/partner
- Provide options for quality care
- Reduce the stress and burdens otherwise placed on family members
- Give your adult children time to be family
- Provide a legacy for loved ones
State variations may apply.